Illawong Lodge was originally built as Pounds Creek Hut 1926/27. It was built by the NSW Government Tourist Bureau to assist in the first winter crossing from Kiandra to the Hotel Kosciuszko by Dr Herbert Schlink and his party in 1927.
In 1956, with the permission of the then Kosciusko State Park Trust, a group of cross-country ski enthusiasts, then called the Ski Tourers Association and who were later to become Illawong Ski Tourers (IST), undertook to restore and extend the decrepit building known as Pounds Creek Hut and to operate it as Illawong Lodge.
Illawong Lodge is a place of heritage significance for its role in, and association with, the phases of skiing in the Snowy Mountains Region. As such it is of local significance for the Snowy Mountains Region and it represents important historic, aesthetic and social values for this area of NSW.
Illawong Lodge’s history is strongly associated with the development and evolution of back-country skiing in Australia and it has been used continuously for this purpose from its initial construction to today—about 80 years—50 of which involve an association with Illawong Ski Tourers. Today the members and friends of IST continue to devote the same care and attention to Illawong, and its cultural associations, as they did in 1956.