Over time, Illawong Lodge has been modified to reduce its impact on the environment. Some of the changes include:
- solar panels and batteries meet the modest electrical requirements (lighting only) reducing the need for liquid fuel to run a generator to a negligible amount;
- double glazed windows provide thermal insulation;
- an efficient gas hot water system has replaced the old kerosene water heater;
- the effluent management system has been significantly upgraded; and
- all “wastes” are separated and carried out, with most being recycled.
- Illawong Ski Tourers is a member of Greenfleet where members' use of carbon in travelling down to and staying at Illawong is offset by contributions to Greenfleet.
- the building has been insulated and,
- although outside the resorts precinct, Illawong Ski Tourers is an enthusiastic participant in the Perisher Range Environmental Management System (PREMS). A valuable tool for monitoring and reporting on environmental aspects of running the lodge, and also valuable in identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Members take considerable pride in the fact that all materials and supplies are carried in by hand.